Friday, May 04, 2012

Impact Factor

I know that it's been quite awhile since I last posted. It's not because I've given up my nuclear studies, but rather because I've been preoccupied writing my dissertation and several articles. As is seemingly the case with everyone in academia these days, I'm always striving for a higher impact factor, which I need in order to build up my CV for when I start applying for jobs. My first article came out a few months ago, and I have two more appearing later this year, including my piece on the history of the Soviet civil defense bomb shelter program which will be featured in the Journal of Cold War Studies later this summer.

 I know that I had some readers who were hoping for some Chernobyl goodies, and may have wondered why I never posted any more about my research findings from my time in Ukraine last year. The reason is that I've been composing a scholarly article on the topic, which I've now submitted for peer-review. My findings challenge some longstanding beliefs about the Chernobyl accident, so I'm hoping the piece will be an attention-getter.

In other news, in July I'm going to Kazakhstan to tour the old Soviet nuclear testing site at Semipalatinsk, and (if I'm really lucky) the decommissioned BN-350 sodium-cooled fast reactor/desalination plant.

1 comment:

GRLCowan said...

Glad to hear you're still out there.

I hope the publication will be open-access.